Friday, June 13, 2008

TIM RUSSERT - DEAD AT 58


Tim Russert, the NBC News Washington Bureau Chief, is dead at 58. He was one of the great journalists of our time, and a personal favorite of mine. I ritually watched Meet the Press every Sunday to hear how Tim would break down the news. I think what I liked about him was how much he obviously loved his job. Politics is a dirty, nasty business that usually seems more about tearing the other guy down than doing the nation's work. To be involved in that type of business seems to cast a dower appearance on the face of most of the talking heads. But Tim was always smiling, always excited to talk about politics and what was happening. You can't manufacture the type of enthusiasm that he had for reporting and journalism and I always knew that I was watching the genuine article when he was on air. He was someone that I could trust to get the news, as objective as can reasonably be allowed, and not an on-air opinion piece. In an era of Bill O'Reillys and Keith Olbermans, he was a beacon, and I certainly think that we've all lost something. Whether you may realize it or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment